Pages

October 11, 2011

Gossip Girl S05E03 - Jewel Of Denial



The season heats up as story lines are picking up pace and characters actually become likable.
By the end of the episode I found myself respecting each and every main character at the same time, which, I don't think, has happened before. Serena showed the nice girl she always pretends to be in fixing "Charlie" up with the fairy tale dress as well as making her feel right at home. Dan actually steered both Chuck and Blair in the right direction while Nate stood up for himself. Look how these kids are growing..
I find myself loving the "Charlie" storyline more and more as we progress. At first I was very careful with the promotion from Kaylee DeFer to series regular. With "Charlie" basically being abandoned from the Upper East Side, her mother being done with the family and Ivy being done with playing, I literally didn't think the story had anywhere to go. As if anything is as final as that. Within a few minutes all of Charlie's doings are forgiven, Carol jumps back in the city as if she has a giant trampoline and nobody seems to even care where the real Charlie is. I thoroughly enjoyed "Charlie" getting her scheme on (inspired by the queen of scheming herself) and letting herself stay. Her motives were sincere and understandable and by seeing her personal struggle so far, I was all aboard. Even more did I love Carol's quick adaptation to the situation by simply wishing her fake daughter good luck. But the story was already coming a head with Nate discovering the name, and nothing but the name, of one Ivy. (Hopefully forcing me to get rid of the "quotation marks.")
A far more pressing matter could be found in Blair's baby issues. Though it's such a standard mystery it could easily be disposed of, the result very well impacts the future of the show. Even Upper East Siders can't deny to bond a baby brings along… (Actually they can, does anybody remember Blair's half sister? Is Vanya even alive anymore?) I honestly didn't think the writers would take this path but now they have I guess one group of shippers have to face possibility of never getting their happy ending. Gossip Girl truly is a Greek tragedy of modern times.
Far less tragic was Dan! What a hero spending his hours forcing Blair to face her future and buying Chuck a…puppy! No for real, that doggy rocks the world. I want him to have own story lines involving ducks at Central Park and biting Dan's ear off. But never mind the wonderful scenes in which Dan was pushed on the floor (yay!) or when he was called out on his cowardly ways (double yay!), no the real kicker of the episode had absolutely nothing to do with Lonely Boy. It centered on a lonely boy holding his dog finally feeling something. Damn, that scene worked. Westwick was painfully cold yet unmistakingly tourchered. 
Another terrific episode that promises so much drama I can't even begin to remember what I was talking about. Oh well, see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment