Pages

October 3, 2011

Pan Am S01E02 - We'll Always Have Paris

Pan Am scores on the drama factor but leaves me infinitely confused as to why there's even a spy subplot.
Because the show doesn't need it. Between the pilot with a broken heart, the competing sisters and the stewardess dealing with a touchy-feely passenger, I'm all hooked. I can see the value in one of the sisters yearning for more but I have no idea what's happening with the spy subplot...and not in the cool 'Inception' kind of way.

The Pilot (episode, not the character) worked so well because there was this mystery built around Bridget and it left me wanting more. (Which is why, against all odds, I returned.) But this episode neither clarified nor complicated matters. It just made them more vague. Perhaps I should pay more attention but I have no clue why Bridget opted out, why she left Mike Vogel or why I should care that she's actually married.
But moving on to main characters I do know of, I am actually enjoying the show a lot. I think the sisters with a mother complex is worked out pretty nicely. As I stated on Twitter, I am not fond of story lines being pushed on board of a flight just for the sake of exploring them, but forcing the sisters to deal with their mother was a forgivable move. Especially because there were some twists.
Meanwhile, I was thoroughly enjoying the plot of the pilot and the European stewardess. Her accent is refreshing and not very well known on TV, which makes her interesting and even though Mike Vogel has the expression of a dead seal, there was some chemistry in these characters. I liked them as a couple of broken people finding each other. Probably most because in the Pilot (this might get confusing) the pilot (I give up) is shaping up to be with any of the other stewardesses.
Either way, the show, with all of its cliche drama, has a certain honesty and subtlety to it that is very pleasing. From a small comment that a main character has gained a pound to the horrible, horrible portrayal of Paris as a city (it's much, much more fun that this, even in the 60s, probably), Pan Am is endlessly entertaining.
A nice, unexpected addition to my slate of shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment