Pages

September 23, 2011

Revenge S01E01 - Pilot

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." Obviously Shakespeare was talking about Revenge.
I think the concept of a woman who's hell bound will never get old. Unlike men they tend to be more malicious and manipulative, which often makes for better drama. I only started the show because someone described it as 'what Ringer should have been' and it is, only better.

I was a tad weary about the casting of Emily VanCamp. Everwood's sweetheart couldn't shine very bright as a woman on a show named after one of the seven sins. I was wrong. Her sweet smile, apple cheeks and doe-eyes work even better when the character isn't all sugar. The character of Emily is written good too, making up for an interesting mix of a lead.
The writing is something I want to focus more on because it might just be (double) infinitely more clever than I anticipated. It's a well constructed story with many layers and players and the pilot only seems to scratch the surface. The story is ever in motion as a rather big cast introduces itself by actions instead of conversations. The first five minutes are soap-opera gold and suck any drama lover in. If that doesn't do the trick the flash backs and the unfolding story will.
Revenge apparently deals with the cliche and soapy stuff in a quick way. The pace is incredible for what seems to be a psychological thriller. And even with the powerful women making manipulative plans, the story teases more than it reveals. I'm fairly sure the soap is just covering all the dirt.
As a viewer it's utterly surprising to find myself hooked on a show I was so close to passing up on. But I'm glad I stuck around. Besides a promising cast, the show promises a much better story. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment