Pages

September 23, 2011

Glee S03E01 - The Purple Piano Project

Remember when this show was about the underdog in us all? Well, as it turns out, rising to the top only makes you a snob.
There aren't enough pages in the world to justify my annoyance by creator Ryan Murphy's actions last summer. With so many behind-the-scene drama and so less on-screen realization of promises, there isn't a lot going on for fans. With a flop of a movie and a horrible season premiere, I'm pretty sure Glee has sung its highest tune.

I couldn't even properly remember which couples were or weren't driving circles around themselves, so seeing Will and Emma struggle sexually and Finn and Rachel being happy, I wasn't very moved. Luckily the show pushed Mercedes into the arms of a boy after two years in just one scene, had Blaine move schools for love instead of academics or morals and released Puck from Lauren in nothing but a flash. Meanwhile Quinn is suddenly dark and twisty but within two scenes found a smile back on her face. Santana is poised to make some judgement calls and Sue is back to her old wicked ways because she literally has nothing else to do.
In short I'm sick of this show. Everything that's given will change faster than I can recap and without much emotion to boot. This show has the capability of making you care even when you really don't want to (Quinn/Finn's fireworks for instance) but failed to do so this premiere.
There were less songs but the once that were there were incredibly annoying. Forget the luxury pianos that were supposedly old and donated. Forget the rich sets the glee club can afford despite being "broke" multiple times. Don't even begin to ask why all the cheerleaders and Blaine had perfectly symmetric choreography. No, ask yourself this: if you're eating lunch and a group of people are going to jump on your table, sing a song that's well before your time and expect you to join them, would you throw food or not?
Personally I would've bought a bucket of mayonnaise and turn Rachel into a blondie. But punishment already came in a different form. I've been asking for someone to sing terribly for a while now and it was a reward seeing it executed. Too bad only scenes later a picture perfect group of strangers were actually portrayed as perfect on all fronts. I had to hurl so much I was diagnosed with... ok, let's not go there.
In short I was displeased with the episode. It confirmed most of my fears and none of my hopes. I don't see this going anywhere and I can't really imagine the show ending on any other note than a low one.

No comments:

Post a Comment