Pages

September 23, 2011

The Office S08E01 - The List

To be fair the show had to do some serious good work in order to stay on my radar so it can't really be a surprise that it failed to do so. 
For a lot of years Michael Scott was the reason I didn't tune in. Now that he's gone you'd think I'd be having a field day but I'm not. It's not that I miss his annoying humor or hatable actions but The Office feels terribly empty without him. As if all the characters are missing a piece of themselves. The season premiere didn't do much to forget all about that and ended up being quite forgettable.

For once the concept of having an episode center around a mysterious list isn't very original, certainly not for a premiere episode. It became boring pretty quickly and the characters antics didn't help to lighten the mood. I wasn't even moved by the realization of not one, but two pregnancies.
Jim and Pam remain cute as ever, Dwight as unpredictable. But only for them it's not a sin to stay the same. The others just got repetitive and failed to give a whole lot of diversity. Having the cast split up didn't work either since half of them complained they were losers. That's only acceptable when you are, you know, not actually terrible at your job. I love Pam but she doesn't get my sympathy for her hard work.
It might have been because I was watching the show while doing the dishes but I couldn't keep my attention to it. The story lines were dull and only a few scenes stood out. All in all it was the confirmation that I'm kind of done with the show. But for everyone who loves these characters enough there's certainly more of it where it came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment