Pages

September 27, 2011

Hart Of Dixie S01E01 - Pilot

Hart Of Dixie misses the small town charm that worked so well for the WB.
Let me say upfront that I love Summer Roberts and her portrayer Rachel Bilson. I could dedicate an entire blog to all the reasons why and it would still not be quite enough. So it's all the more surprising that this show hasn't won me over by just casting Bilson as the lead.

Bilson is formidable as the med student who's coming from New York to hickville. Unfortunately Zoe Hart isn't very well written. She's spoiled but not bitchy, she's sassy but not very tough, somehow she just doesn't win me over. And neither do the other characters.
One of the best things about the glory shows of the WB, like Everwood and Gilmore Girls is that the small towns had a steady group of wonderful supporting characters. Hart Of Dixie introduces us to rather boring and cliche characters who lack the cute and quirky vibe of previously named shows. It results in the set up of several story lines, none of which I want to see develop.
The twist at the end of the pilot feels forced and way to heavy on the drama. It's more evidence that the show doesn't balance things out. In all of it's potential, the show just doesn't win me over. No matter how loud the play Taylor Swift's Love Song in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment