Pages

September 17, 2011

The Secret Circle S01E01 - Pilot

The premiere underwhelmed with too much repetition and not enough intrigue.
I don't know if it's the idea of TV witches not being interesting since Charmed closed the door or the special orphan in strange place concept or the theme song that after four times is already annoying. Anyway, The Secret Circle fails to stand out from the ever-growing pool of stories based on the same premise.

I It did however introduce a slew of nice, interesting characters. Of course, everyone we met played a part, but that's almost necessary in what seems to be a tight-nit mystery. Faye, for instance, manages to steal the show quite often. A rather admirable trade, what, with the awesome cast and all. Unfortunately that's where the specialities end. All of the characters are set up to be dynamic and will surely win you over if you stick around but the show fails to give a proper reason why you should.
I There's a group of witches that can be really powerful, boohoo. There's a murderer who wants to kill the older generation. Yikes. And there's a whole tangled web of parents dating, loving and witch crafting each other in the past without clearing up what all the fuzz is about. Zzz. The fires, the weather, it's all very dull in my opinion. Gale Harold couldn't scare a puppy dog and the magic tricks feel nothing like magic.
I I'm sorry if I'm still tingling from the 'Harry Potter' finale but The Secret Circle wasn't spectacular. It's not what I like or what I need. Perhaps I'll check back during the next Sweeps. Until then this is one candle I'm blowing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment