Pages

September 17, 2011

The Vampire Diaries S03E01 - The Birthday

With some hesitation I entered the new season but I'm declaring it now for everyone to read: I've met my new number one show.
One thing I absolutely loved about the third season premiere, but what also instantly made it inferior to most of season two, is that it took a backseat to the game-twisting approach we got used to.
Not much has changed in two months and that actually feels believable. Jeremy hasn't told anyone about his dead ex-girlfriends following him around and he is just now starting to break. Though, personally, I think it'd be smarter for him to ask his current witch-girlfriend for advice, he confides in anti-supernatural Matt. Because, you know, all the best bromances grow out of shared drug use and ice cream eating.
Meanwhile Elena is still worrying where Stefan might be which is understandable. What's even more understandable is that Damon would try even harder to find Stefan and not tell Elena about it. Because every time he hasn't told Elena about something it always ended so well. Also: Caroline and Tyler are walking marathons around each other but we can all guess where that's going. All of these things are incredibly slow-paced. As in, it almost feels like a normal show, where things grow, develop and ultimately come out.
Of course, this is The Vampire Diaries and it's not letting go of it's freshly earned 'Best Show Of Last Year' title (given by The Academy Of Me, of course). So the episode has a slightly darker side, with Stefan sending a message to Damon to stop following him and Klaus executing a rather odd plan of which we'll know the meaning in an episode or three. What really sold the episode for me was the ending. They did it last year with OneRepublic music and a ferris wheel and now they did it again. Yes, I'm talking about an The OC-moment. It's the safest yet most effective way to my heart and The Vampire Diaries seems to know it.
So when Stefan tries to convince himself he's gone bad but can't help but call Elena but fails to breathe a word once she picks up, I'm forced to acknowledge that I love this show, deeply. Even when everybody is taking a back seat, perhaps due to heat, perhaps blood loss, the show is still more addicting and moving than most of what's out there.
Here's to you, Elena, here's to my inexcusable fandom but most of all, here's to a new season. Bite me.

No comments:

Post a Comment